Become a Lively Helper
Gain a rewarding role providing friendly support to older people in your local community.
We believe that all young people have something to offer, and that everyone deserves the chance of a first job without previous experience. That's why we create work opportunities and fully train young people to work with and support older people in the community.
We have three types of roles for helpers:
Visit and spend time with older people, helping them learn how to use technology to connect with people, access information and pursue their interests. This tends to be a lighter-touch role with weekly or casual hours.
Provide support for older people who need a hand around the house or in the garden, getting out and about, or pursuing interests and hobbies. This is a regular role entailing a weekly commitment with the older people you work with.
For young people skilled in caring, this role builds on the Home Helper role to incorporate activities requiring specialised skills, such as personal care or mobility support.
"The best aspect has been meeting some wonderful elderly people and building a friendship with them as well as having variety in the job itself, from going on social outings to household cleaning tasks."
"I am excited to work as a Local Lively Helper as I think it will allow me to gain wisdom from older people whilst also making technology easier for them to use."
Who we look for
We look for young people who are:
- Between 18-25 years of age and currently looking for work
- Friendly and enthusiastic
- Interested in learning about older people’s lives and experiences
- Patient, understanding and able to communicate effectively with older people
- Well-presented, polite and respectful
- Reliable, punctual and able to work independently
- Willing to provide a range of supports to meet the individual needs and goals of older people.